Monday 2 November 2009

Libraries Inside Out - Morecambe workshops

A quick update on the Libraries Inside Out Project - a partnership between the Lancashire Library Service and Preston based arts development organisation, They Eat Culture. We mentioned the project here - now the workshops have taken place all that's left is for the work and words of the participants to be projected on the outside of libraries across the country... keep your eyes peeled and watch this space for more on that later.

In the meantime, here's what Mollie Baxter, writer, performer, creative writing tutor and one of the workshop leaders for this exciting project had to say about her experience leading one of the workshops in Morecambe...

There’s been a recurring response from these young people – a nervousness and worry. I’ve heard, ‘I can’t write, I’m no good at telling stories,’ several times, and yet I’ve been astonished by what has come out of these short sessions.

The first took place at Morecambe Foyer run by the Salvation army, a residential home for young people who need a little support, maybe they are homeless, maybe they have had a difficult time in their personal lives or in mainstream school. We sat down and chatted about their lives – I was impressed at how busy and involved in the community they are. Sure, they like their computer games and chilling out, but when you’re volunteering with cadets, the theatre, community projects and other projects, who wouldn’t need a little downtime?

One young man, Luke, really stood out for me, although his situation is also representative of the others’. He looked daunted when he came in, he spoke of his doubts that he would be able to ‘do it,’ but we sat down together and, while I took notes he told me about his little brother who has just discovered chicken nuggets, how much he enjoys looking after him; about how he had worked nights in care not long ago. He’d struck up a strong bond with a gentleman there who had worked as an army doctor through two World Wars, and had told him if he wants anything in life – to go for it. I think one of Luke’s his pieces says it all.

Dr. Franks

I used to do care work – nights. Did it for a year and a half. Looked after Dr Franks. He was 109. Looked like someone from Fawlty Towers – bushy eyebrows, big beard. He was an army doctor in both wars. He used to tell me stories. When I’d go in, he’d always have a brew waiting.


He said to me if you want anything – don’t give up.


He had a tumour in his brain.


When he died, I couldn’t work there anymore - 3 weeks later, I packed it in. I found out he’d left me money in his will. Didn’t want it. Gave it to charity. His wife was still alive. When she found out, she gave me a massive hug.



These are stories to be seen and heard. In their own words, they tell us much that challenges our perceptions of what it means to be a young person in Lancaster today. When the authors see their work blown up and projected on the side of the library, and when they see other people stop, read and react, they will also, I hope, come to view themselves with a new self-belief. The idea that anything is possible – if we dare – is made real in front of our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment